This one's just for us dogs!

My name is Hero.
My Mom rescued me when I was found wandering around in the countryside during the wintertime. Someone called my Mom to tell her that a "strange dog" (that's what they called ME!) had been hanging around their house for three weeks and asked if my Mom would take it. Of course, she said "Of course!" Mom runs
"Bluff Country Canine Rescue" and she helps dogs that don't have homes find really GOOD homes where the people love them and take excellent care of them, and they get to live IN THE HOUSE and everything! Since I was brought to the Rescue, Mom had to pay the "Adoption" fee so that she could keep me forever. She says that I was worth every cent!
Because I am such a NICE dog, I let the other dogs that Mom has rescued talk on MY BLOG once in a while.
I hope you'll stop by often and leave a comment so I know that you visited!

Saturday, April 14, 2012

HELP!


My Mom needs some help FAST or we may never get to play with our Beautiful Bellamica again!


That's Bella, hiding behind me in the picture.

You want to know why Mom's mad at Bella?
Because Bella keeps teaching Sable and me to run away!


Now, Mom knows that this is a problem and that Bella does it every chance she gets, so Mom was actually going to do a little "training" with us this afternoon.  She took us out front (where there is no fence) and stood out there with us.  Of course, Bella's smart and she never leads us away while Mom is LOOKING.  


Bella just sat quietly or wandered around the front yard and driveway with Sable and I.  Every now and then, Bella would start trotting down the driveway ~ like she was going to run away ~ and Sable and I would follow her.  'Cuz Bella always takes us on FUN adventures!

Well, Mom had a pan with some REALLY yummy "hot-dish" in it and she'd call us back, as soon as we started down the driveway and we all ran right back to Mom and got yummy rewards!  Bella figured out that if we stayed up in the yard and didn't go down the driveway, Mom would give us treats so she just stayed in the yard.  Mom decided that she'd have to fool Bella to get her to start leading us away...


So Mom hid, just inside the front door and sure enough, Bella started down the drive with me and Sable happily following along.  But Mom popped back out the front door and called us and said she'd give us treats so we ran back to her and got SPOONFULS OF GOOD TREATS!  This training stuff is great fun!

Again, Bella just hung around, so again Mom hid inside the front door.  Only this time, Mom was a little slow at jumping back out and we were halfway down the driveway when Mom popped out.  Bella was already running at a pretty good clip.  Mom called and said we'd get treats but Bella just ran faster!  Of course, Sable and I just HAD to follow Bella...


Boy, was Mom mad!


She jumped into the Jeep and followed us across the road and over the bridge and down a long driveway by a creek!  She drove right up to us and slammed on the brakes and opened the doors to the Jeep.  Bella hopped right in.  Mom called Sable and I and we got in too.  Mom didn't say a word on the way home.  She just GLARED at Bella.

When we got home, Bella got put into a PEN.  Bella (me or Sable either, for that matter) NEVER gets put into a pen.  She's still out there too.  Mom let Sable and I out of the Jeep and into the front yard and kept giving us treats for staying in the yard and coming when we were called.  But none for Bella...


Me and Sable are kind of hoping that maybe some of you might have some training ideas that might help teach Bella to not lead us out of the yard when Mom's not looking.  We sure don't want poor Bella to have to stay in that pen for EVER!!!


5 comments:

  1. I wish I could help out with that one. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have three dogs and have discovered that if we let more than one out at a time they will run. If only one is outside at a time they don't go anywhere. So our dogs are never out together unless supervised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sampson is a very good boy and does not leave his yard. He can stay outside with his dad for hours and he will just lay in the driveway like a good boy.

    Delilah will take off, so she can never be out front (the back is fenced.) If we are spending any time out front we will take her long leash and tie her around the tree. I don't know if she will EVER be able to be out front without the leash.

    Maybe mom could get a long leash for Sable and work with her on that. I keep Delilah on the long leash when we go for our hikes, I use lots of treats. Sometimes I drop them and try to 'hide' them, sometimes I make her sit and throw them to her, sometimes I hold them in my hand and bounce them around to keep her attention. Tonight I started throwing her a treat everytime she turned around and looked at me. I don't know if she will EVER be able to go on a walk without leash. I am slowly coming to terms with this and will be ok if that is the case.

    I recently (at the recommendation of Pamela from Something Wagging) got a book called "Bonding With Your Dog" by Victoria Schade. I will let you know how it is when I am done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry guys - we've got no good advice on this one as Mum won't let me off the lead anywhere that I could run away - she doesn't trust my instincts to chase things - well I am a Sheep herder and still young right, so I think she's correct!! Tee Hee

    It sounds like Bella was up to a bit of Mischief - I don't know if I could have resisted the yummy treats though…. :)

    Good luck,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some dogs are just runners and no amount of training can make them stay in a non-fenced yard with no leash attached. Bella may just have to stay in the fenced back or on a leash in front.

    ReplyDelete

Hey ~ Thanks for stopping by! Leave us a comment so we know you were here and we'll come visit YOU too!

Your Pals,

Hero, Bella and Sable (but mostly HERO!)